Thursday, December 22, 2022

LIMIT


In my 30s, when everything in my life was about achievement, and I was working hard at fulfilling my dual role as a single mother and a career woman, I was often challenged by motivational quotes about pushing our limits. "Break your limit!" "Push your limit!" were all about thinking and acting beyond reasonable limits, and achieving success in society, promotions in a fairly fast time, prestigious positions followed by various privileges, which for some people I was considered not ambitious enough for all of that.

Does that mean I have to do anything, regardless of ethics to achieve what is called success? Is it wrong if what success means to me is different from the standard of success in society? Is being successful the only reason I'm alive? Why should I be successful according to society's standards? The more I grow older I think again, what limits were actually to be pushed and broken?

In the end I believe that limits exist and are made to emphasize that we are human beings those full of limitations and limits exist to keep everything in balance. Have you ever imagined if our body continues to grow tall without limit? How troublesome is that? Likewise if the desires and passions in our humanity grow without limits. 

Now if I look back, walking through memory lane, I can't stop being grateful that my daughter and me both are doing well and supporting each other and we are contented. I count myself as contented instead of successful. I am entrusted a good job, with its privilege, and level of influence that enables me to serve people and share good things. I am more than happy when knowing that my existence brings good influence to others.

I don't think that I have to be successful according to anyone's or any standards. I do the best in my ability to succeed, not only to my satisfaction but to be able to bless others. For me a meaningful life is more noble than just being successful and happy.



The world of reality has its limit, the world of imagination is boundless. (Jean-Jacques Rousseau)






No comments:

MARRIAGE IS A DAILY LIFE

Before I continue writing, forgive me for the title of this post that may sounds like it understates the meaning of marriage. NO! It is not ...